Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Day two

Today was day #2 of being a stay-at-home-wife/soon-to-be-mom. I spent my day doing homework, gardening and just doing some projects around the house that I haven't had time for before. It was grand. I keep feeling like I have to get so much done because this "vacation" will soon be over. I suppose it is, in 62 days when this kid makes his appearance. Haha!

I had a friend call me today and ask if I would watch her son once a week throughout the summer, for just an hour. I don't mind helping, and said I could help some, but that I couldn't commit to anything after June (for obvious reasons). Anyways...after I hung up, I started to panic! I wasn't really panicking about watching her kid, but rather there were a million little thoughts that ran through my head. They went something like this: "How does one entertain a 1 year old for 45 min? Wait, what does one DO with an infant for an entire day? What am I going to let this kid play with while he is here? Is anything not dog-slobbered upon? I have NO toys! What is MY kid going to play with? I guess I could sit him(my friend's kid) in front of the TV (not that I approve of that as a method of permanently entertaining a kid). I don't like holding conversations with children that cannot coherently respond. What am I going to talk to my son about for the first 3 years of his life? I can't do this! I don't even like children!!"

I was about to reach for a paper bag to breathe in and out of, and then realized that I was driving my car...so I reached over to my phone to call mom and remembered that she is in Canada this week (blah...no international calls on my cell). I talked myself down off the ledge by remembering that I DO in fact LOVE my bf Elizabeth's kids! I really don't mind hanging out with them and I DO enjoy babysitting them. There may be almost no other children that I enjoy, but if I can enjoy her three kids...then surely I can enjoy mine, right?! Also, I find lots of things to talk to my dog about, and he can't respond at all...so this could work, right? Right!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Right, girlfriend!

You are HILARIOUS. And I promise you, your days will be full with that bundle of joy. What is it they say about never a moment's peace? Ha ha.

Even though my baby can't talk back (much), she sure has lots to say! And so will your little man. I'm hungry! I'm tired! I'm poopy! I'm bored! etc.

Elizabeth said...

p.s, I would like to buy him his first Baby Einstein. Even if you never use it:)