Friday, May 8, 2009

I am still kinda in a funk. Today I was fine most of the day and by evening I was all emotional and just irrational. I knew that I was being that way, but couldn't help myself. I know that I am exhausted, and that is a major contributing factor, but I am sure that my hormones aren't exactly helping the situation either. This week felt like the longest week ever, but for no real reason! Work was exceedingly easy, but strange because all my students were gone and I didn't feel like I got a good chance to say "goodbye" to them. They are all coming back in the fall, so I am sure I will see them again. They were who kept me sane this past year at my job. I hope that the guy taking my place will be as blessed as I was to have such wonderful students.

I am processing through what it will be like to not have a job after next week. I am totally thrilled and totally scared about waking up next Monday and having no where to go at 8:15 in the morning. Other than the 9 months where I was in between 3 different jobs, I have had at minimum a part time job since I was 15 (with lots of odd jobs for a few years before that). For those of you that don't know my family, they were missionaries, so money didn't grow on trees and other than the basics of food and a roof over my head...there was never any money leftover for other stuff. My 16th birthday present was a belt, because I needed one and because it was affordable. I've always provided for myself and it is going to be a hard pill to swallow to not be at least contributing to our income. I am already feeling guilty about not working because just cleaning, cooking and taking care of a baby doesn't seem like enough. I am very blessed to have a husband that is very encouraging of my staying home and is excited for this new phase of life. It is just going to be hard to have to rely on someone else for all my needs. To be honest, I really don't like that thought at all! It will be a growing process and I know that.

So, I am making a list of all the things that I really want/need to do before Baby Herron makes his grand debut:
- Go to Muskogee and sew some curtains for a best friend
- May- Pick strawberries
- June- Pick blueberries
- July- Pick blackberries
- Set up my sewing table and make a quilt, diaper bag, bibs, burb cloths, and changing pads
- Buy a canvas and pull out my oil paints (it has been TWO years)
- Find a pediatrician (just realized today that I have to do that....where does one find a pediatrician?)
- decorate baby's room
- take my dog for a daily walk/waddle ;-)
- spend more time reading and doing devotions
- Spend time with some girlfriends
- work on some photography

Ok...I am sure there are other things too, but that list looks long enough for tonight.

What are some things that you current moms did before baby #1 came that you found to be helpful? Or things you wish you had done? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Liz - If you're willing to drive to Fayetteville, I highly recommend the NWA Pediatric Clinic. My kids see Dr. Silvey (or whoever's on call). We have loved the clinic. It just built a brand new wellness clinic - so sick and well visits are in two entirely different buildings (they used to have two different entrances - now it's entirely different buildings).

Before Matt was born, I did scrapbook "templates" - pages where I just had to add pictures and journaling - the decorations were already done.

Congrats to you for this new phase of life. Staying home is a big sacrifice. Don't sell yourself short. This is where God has placed you for this season of your life -- to care and be the primary caretaker of your little boy - the little boy that you waited so long for. Enjoy it. It goes quick. My "baby" is almost a first grader!

Have you tried making a rag quilt? They are super easy and really fun. I've made several and they don't take long. I made a rag diaper bag that turned out really cute. Sewing is my current passion. :) Can't wait to see pictures of your little guy. Best wishes!

<><

Ava said...

Happy Mother's Day, Liz!

We go to NWA Pediatric Clinic as well...we L-O-V-E it! There's also a satellite office in Tontitown which is nice for a quick sick visit etc.

My advice...sleep...lots and lots of sleep. xoxo

The Wrights said...

Liz - I think you have a very busy list already! : ) I would say go on dates with Jason while you don't need a sitter.