Monday, August 31, 2009

to my little man

Dear Obadiah,

The moment you were born, I'll never forget. Nine pm, I was pushing, your daddy was quietly counting in my ear. Nine and a quarter, the doctor was getting things ready, my eyes were tearing, your daddy was smiling. You were almost here! Nine and twenty, I felt you come out and greet this world. You took my breath away when I saw you for the first time. My son, my very first child, you were beautiful. The first sounds of your voice as you loudly proclaimed that you were alive and well, those sounds were music to my soul. I couldn't keep the tears back as I held you in my arms. You were whom I had prayed for, longed for, cried for. You felt a bit like a stranger, and a bit like heaven that first moment. We were greeting each other for the first time...staring into each others face as if to say "so this is who you are!". It was a moment that I'll never forget. I cherish that moment. You only meet your child/mom for the first time once...in case you ever wonder, ours was a fabulous meeting!

The past 5 and a half weeks have flown by. There have been some bumps in the road, but none of them have been from you. You are my angel child. I couldn't ask for a more sweet and gentle spirited baby. I have learned your cries and your expressions. My heart melts when you nuzzle into my neck and try to eat my chin...silly boy...chins don't have any milk! I don't mind when you are hungry at odd hours of the night, but I do thank you for your patience when my eyes close quite tightly when you are eating (I can't help but nod off every now and then). Every morning, and sometimes in the evenings, I get to give you a bath. No one likes stinky babies! Your little froggy legs are so intent on splashing during bathtime, that we graduated to the "big boy" tub this morning. You smiled a huge smile, finally...room for you to make some waves.

I have a hunch that you are going to be my little chatterbox when you get older. Already you are smiling and trying to tell me things. I am sure you will ask many "why" questions. I probably won't have an answer for most of them, but I can't wait to hear your curiosity be vocalized. Oh the fun we are going to have together my son. I know that one day you won't want to be rocked to sleep anymore, and snuggling with your mom won't be cool. But, I do hope that you'll always let me kiss your little cheeks goodnight!

You are precious my son. You are a blessing beyond what I thought was possible. There have been many moments when I've thought "ah, so this is what it is like to love as a parent does". Thanks for letting me be your mommy. I know your dad is pretty excited too!

We love you our Obi.

Mom

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

So sweet, mama. I haven't seen a new mommy adore her baby like you adore Obi often enough lately, and I am glad I get to hear about it and see it from you. I know he loves you just as much,