Saturday, October 16, 2010

scones and the like

Umm...so where did the past week go to?  It is the middle of October already.  I am FINALLY starting to feel more settled in the new place.  Today I hung up pictures and put the last of the boxes in the garage.  I have decided that I both love and hate having a one story house.  I don't ever have to worry about Obi falling down stairs now, but he now has free reign of the entire place!  Between Obi and Pooka I am constantly picking up one mess or another.  It is outta control y'all.  Fortunately, Obs thinks it is equally as fun to pick up toys as it is to get them out. The hard thing in this house is the kitchen cupboards.  Our last place mainly had drawers on the lower cabinets, and he wasn't too worried about opening them.  But, my odds of finding a clean pot lid are slim to none here in this house.  He is soooo proud of himself that I have a hard time chiding him for "getting into Mommy's toys". Clean pot lids are overrated anyways.

I don't have any pictures for my post today.  But I do have a question.  Do any of you have a fabulous muffin, scone, snack-ish recipes you'd like to share?  I am in the process of putting together the menu for the coffee shop.  There are so many options out there.  So many fantastic fall yummies. I am pretty sure that all that weight I lost in the past few months is about to go right back onto my thighs.  Crossing my fingers that it won't.  A daily walk won't hurt either.  Anyways, share your fave and if it makes it onto the menu, I'll name it after you.

This week was SO much better than last.  I'll admit, I was almost in tears Monday night.  Those darn hormones.  How's a woman supposed to get any peace in her life if they are causing a ruckus?  But, a few mornings of getting up before my sweet wee one, some time spent with the Lord, several cups of coffee and tea, and many walks in the fresh air have significantly helped my mood and my attitude.

Since I don't have any pictures for you, I will leave you with a recipe that I found from Annie's Eats.  If you haven't ever read her blog then you must DROP what you are doing (unless of course you are holding a baby) and go read it.  Ah-mazing.  I am making these this week.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Oatmeal Raspberry Scones
Ingredients:
1 large egg
½ cup cold buttermilk
1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups old-fashioned oats
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
Pinch of nutmeg
10 tbsp. cold unsalted butter, grated on a large grater or cut into small pieces
¾ cup fresh or frozen raspberries
Directions: 
Preheat the oven to 400˚ F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Combine the egg and buttermilk in a liquid measuring cup.  Stir together; set aside.
Whisk together the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl.  Add the butter to the bowl and toss.  Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or fork until the mixture so that the mixture is crumbly.  Pour the egg and buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix with a fork just until incorporated (the mixture will be sticky).  Fold in the berries just until incorporated (be particularly gentle if using fresh berries).  Gently knead the dough 6-10 times, just until it comes together into a sticky dough.  Portion the dough out into 8-12 scones, depending on the size you prefer, and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.  (A large dough scoop is a good tool, but not necessary.)
Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Hi! I have a recipe for pumpkin chocolate chip muffins that we devour every fall. My kids eat them by the dozen. I'll email you the recipe.

Leah

hwilson718 said...

Craig ask me to make these all the time. He likes to take them into work to share. Addie and I love them too.

My favorite blueberry muffin recipe.


http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/To-Die-For-Blueberry-Muffins/Detail.aspx