Wednesday, September 15, 2010

plans change

We left for Kansas on Friday thinking that we'd go up for a visit to my in-laws, wander around the state fair, and come home on Sunday afternoon after a birthday dinner with my husband's grandma.  And though we did wander the fair and have lunch with Nana...we did not come home on Sunday afternoon.  No.  No we did not.  We pulled in our driveway at 3:30 Tuesday morning. In between pulling out of our driveway on Friday and coming back home Tuesday, is a long saga of a tired and worn out 96 Honda.  And, it was so worn out that it basically said to us "nope, I am not doing it!  I am not going to take you back to Arkansas".  And just like that our carefully laid out plans of buying a car next year dissolved. 

But seeing as we kind of needed a way to get home, we wandered our Wichita Monday afternoon, signed papers Monday night, and left my mother-in-law's Late Monday night in a new (to us) car.  I almost needed a brown paper bag to breathe in and out of.  I was hyperventilating over this decision...because it was a large one.  For the most part, this was the conversation going on in my head:
Breathe in "what did we just do??  AGH!!"
Breathe out "ok, well, we DID need a car". 
Breathe in "but it isn't in the plan".
Breath out "well, it was in the long range plan".
Breathe in "What would Dave Ramsey say".
Breathe out "He would say that we made a mostly good choice, especially given the circumstances".

You get the picture.  I love, love, love the car, and am still trying to get used to it.  I did keep telling myself that though this past weekend was a surprise to me and my bank account... it was not a surprise to God.  He knew it was coming, and what we would do. So we just prayed that God would help us make a good and wise decision and that if we got going in the wrong direction that he would put a huge road block in front of us. 

I don't havea  picture of me in my new car, but i'll take one and post it soon.  I gotta catch my breath first.  Pass that brown paper bag, won't you?!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Dave Ramsey would have a lot to say, I'm sure. I'm just excited to see the car. Payment, shmayment.