Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Ode to Food

So a few weeks ago Jason and I broke down and re-upped our cable.  It was mostly becuase it was just SO quiet around the house after Obi was born and mom had gone back home. It was starting to get a little lonely.  I think we've decided to call the cable company back though and have them disconnect it, yet again. Why, you may ask?  Good question. Well, most of it has to do with the fact that there is very little to watch on tv that is decent.  Does anyone remember the days when TLC used to really be "The Learning Channel"? Or that the history channel had more shows that were historical in nature, rather than the repetitive shows about the impending doom upon the world if we just happen to run into a meteorite that is large enough to blow us off our usual orbit.  I just can't stomach the show after show that say the world is gonna end tomorrow so we better stop using extra-soft tp and run our cars on recycled corn oil just in case we can stop that meteorite from hitting us! 

But I digress.  If we do give it up again the one channel that I will ALWAYS miss is the Food Network. Oh how I love it!  I could soak up every minute of Paula Dean, Ina Garten and Bobby Flay.  Alton Brown, I learned how to truly scramble an egg from you. I watch the Iron Chef and smugly think that I could surely do as good of a job as any of the competitors do.  I'd die to be one of the guests at Giada's patio table. Well, in honor of my love for the food network, and well...just food in general...I made some Orange Cranberry scones tonight to take to Bible study tomorrow. In the words of Rachel Ray: Yum-O! Barefoot Contessa, you are my new virtual best friend.  You have just made this girl in the middle of Nowhere, Arkansas, feel like she's just become a little more civilized.  So, pass the butter and the orange marmalade.   Here's the recipe:
  • 4 cups plus 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
  • 2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
  • 3/4 pound cold unsalted butter, diced
  • 4 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup cold heavy cream
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons water or milk, for egg wash
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
  • 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed orange juice

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix 4 cups of flour, 1/4 cup sugar, the baking powder, salt and orange zest. Add the cold butter and mix at the lowest speed until the butter is the size of peas. Combine the eggs and heavy cream and, with the mixer on low speed, slowly pour into the flour and butter mixture. Mix until just blended. The dough will look lumpy! Combine the dried cranberries and 1/4 cup of flour, add to the dough, and mix on low speed until blended.
Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead it into a ball. Flour your hands and a rolling pin and roll the dough 3/4-inch thick. You should see small bits of butter in the dough. Keep moving the dough on the floured board so it doesn't stick. Flour a 3-inch round plain or fluted cutter and cut circles of dough. Place the scones on a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Collect the scraps neatly, roll them out, and cut more circles.
Brush the tops of the scones with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the tops are browned and the insides are fully baked. The scones will be firm to the touch. Allow the scones to cool for 15 minutes and then whisk together the confectioners' sugar and orange juice, and drizzle over the scones.

1 comment:

Lois said...

Liz, I totally understand your food thing...except I'd rather just eat it and have to make it. I'm going to try making bread/buns this weekend. Truth be told, I don't enjoy the kitchen the way I used to. I have to revamp the recipes too much. Baking is what I miss the most, and can't knead the dough any more. I am thankful for mom's Bosch, though, as it does most of the work.
Daniel would be a good study...nothing pansy about it.