Monday, September 22, 2008
Something's missing
The past week has been a whirlwind of activity. This weekend was filled with students in and out of my house. Our friend who needed a place to stay for a while, found an apartment and moved out this weekend. My brother-in-law who is a freshmen at the local college got sick and so he spent Saturday evening and all day Sunday with us. Sunday evening I finally got my bathrooms scrubbed, the laundry done, the floors vacuumed and mopped and generally tidied the place up. I did a few jobs around the house that I have been "meaning to do" but just haven't gotten around to it. My homework is done for the week and, though I have class tomorrow night, my life is pretty calm and relaxed at the moment. So, life is good, but...all day today something has been bugging me. I've felt discontented and just out of sorts. I called my mom and talked with her for a while. I miss my family. I desperately want to be closer to my brothers so that we can spend time together just like the old days. I am missing out my my youngest brother's life. My oldest brother has a little girl that will be two in February and I have only seen her once! There is something just not right with that! We have some dear friends that have kids my age, and they were talking tonight about watching their grandkids and being close so that when their pregnant daughter goes into labor they can just drive over and be at the hospital. I miss that proximity with my parents. I've lived in NW Arkansas for almost 8 years now....I want to go home. I know that I need to be content with where God has placed me, but I just don't feel that way right now. I think there are a lot of things in my life that aren't really going as I had them planned in my head. Admittedly, a good sized chunk of me wants to give in to that desire for a pity party. I know though that I just need to make a list of all the blessings that God has given me and focus on those, rather than what I don't have and think that I need. Easier said than done? I think so!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Liz - I know how you feel. My parents and my husband's parents both live in the far northern suburbs of Chicago (practically Wisconsin) - so we've been on our own in Arkansas for the 8 years of marriage. It's been good. With kids, we miss having family around to drop them off. With the internet and telephones, it's been a lot easier for them to have long-distance grandparents... Hang in there. Different seasons bring different things...
Sending baby dust your way.
Liz - It is so easy to fall into the pitty party mode. I do it often and I like your idea of making a list of my blessings and focusing on those. It is hard to be so far from family, yet it just makes us more fond of them. If they were here we'd probably want our space as well. : )
Post a Comment