Motherhood. There are so many opinions out there these days
on how to, and how not to be a good mom.
I don’t normally voice my opinions super strongly. But I am starting to get
really, really irritated with a current attitude in regards to parenting and more
specifically: mothering. There is
a blog post that has been circulating for the last few days. And, in that post the mom describes how
difficult it can be to raise children and how, though not every moment can be
described as enjoyable, we should hold on to the good and cherish what we can.
I appreciated some of what she said, disagreed with other parts; but what
floored me were the comments after the post. Most were saying how hard it is to be a mom, and how they do
count down the minutes until bedtime, and they won’t look back and miss the
days when their kids were little, etc, etc. It was as I was reading the
comments that I became super sad and angry.
I am sick of women giving up too easily. I am disgusted with the laziness that my generation of mothers exhibit. Being a mom isn’t
easy, but it wasn’t meant to be. Is it not intended to be a crucible for us?
Shouldn’t it be so? Since when do we think it is ok to complain about our kids
and whine about how difficult they are making our lives? Why, oh why, do women
do a count down till bedtime? How is that possibly a healthy way to live with
and love on your child? If I knew that my husband, the person who is supposed
to love me more than anyone else on earth, counted down the minutes until I
went to bed and then he could be free, I would be crushed and would feel
severely undervalued as a person.
How is that different than a mother/father towards their child? We are
the person our child looks up to for love, patience, guidance, acceptance, and
security. Should they not go to bed knowing that we will actually be excited to
see them the next day? I am not
saying that I have it all together or that I relish every minute of every day.
BUT, I think that I should aim to. Why not? Why settle for, “we made it to bed
time and everyone is still alive”?
How is that honoring of my child?
I have one child. So, yes, I do not know yet the rigors
associated with having multiple children. I’ve had numerous people ask me why I haven’t had a second
child yet. Most give me the advice
that it is best to just “have them and get it over with”. I usually let those comments slide and
just nod and smile. But that is NOT my philosophy in having a family. I am not making a family just to check
it off my list because it was what was next in my life stage.
Before anyone thinks that I have it all together, let me
share with you that I do not. I do not underestimate the difficulties that come
with being a parent. I have felt at times like I am tied down and no
longer free to do what I want. I too,
have said more than once that I needed my kid to go to bed and it better be
quick. BUT…I believe in living intentionally. If I don’t intend for something to
happen, it won’t. I am in the
process of figuring out what it really means to be a wife and mom. What does that role encompass? In
our home, it is ever changing and growing because, well, we are every changing and growing. The needs of my son
when he was 2 weeks old are very different than they are now. However the role
evolves there are some basic core values and principles that I need/want to
implement. If I miss these then I
will have failed as a mother.
1-
VALUE - My son is valued human being that was created by God
and is loved by God. I need to
treat him as such.
2-
APPRECIATE - My son, no matter his age, is a person with a
distinct personality, likes, dislikes and characteristics. He has something to offer to the whole
family. His personhood contributes to who we are as a family.
3-
ESTEEM - My son did not choose to be born. My husband and I chose to get pregnant
and start a family. I should never
do or say anything that makes him seem insignificant or like he is a
nuisance. Does he do annoying
things sometimes? Yes, of course he does, but his presence, is NOT annoying.
4-
LEARN and TEACH- As a mother, I can learn from my child, every
bit as much as my child will learn from me. But, it is me that he is looking to
for instruction. I need to be teaching in all areas of life. From the basics of
how to pick up his toys and brush his teeth, to life skills, how to be a
helper, how to love on someone, etc. There are time when I need to just quickly
get a job done and that is OK, but when I can take the time to have him with me
along side my chores/tasks I need to take advantage of that. His brain will
change more between birth to 5 than it will at any other time of his life. He will learn. I need to make sure that he is learning
what he needs to instead of waiting for that to happen on its own. This includes discipline and correction. That takes time, patience, and a heck of a lot of effort, and more than a bit of prayer.
5-
SPEAK LIFE - My words, actions, and tone need to impart that I
value my son and what is important to him. The words that I speak to my child, even off hand comments,
can speak life or death to my son. If being a therapist has taught me anything
it is that people take what other say to them and internalize it. More than one
client has wept over a comment a parent made that insinuated how little regard
they had for their child. Those are deep wounds and not ones I am willing to
inflict.
6-
RESPECT - In as much as I would be respectful of a grown
adult, I need to also be respectful of my child, whether he is two or sixteen
or thirty-six.
7-
VALIDATE– I don’t really care about the sound that a train
makes. Or that airplanes leave large vapor trails behind them. But it matters
to my son. Do I need to pretend that it is as important to me as it is to him,
absolutely not! But I do need to
take the time to verbally engage with him and validate his interests and
curiosities. I need to make room for him to be a different person than I am,
and I need to encourage him to develop the strengths that God has given him.
8-
AFFIRM – When I stop, get on his eye level, and tell my son
that he is special to me and that I love him for who he is, he takes that in. It comes out in the fact that he is securely attached to me
and my husband. He knows that who
he is is acceptable to us. He doesn’t have to be or do anything different for
us to love him. Not many parents
would say that they don’t feel that way about their kids. But, too often I think we don’t allow
our kids to truly know that we DO feel that way. How many times have we all
heard people say that their experience of their parents makes it difficult for
them to experience God as a loving Father? My kid is going to interact with
God, his Creator, based (at least in some part) on what I modeled for him as a
parent. THAT is scary to me. That
is a truly awesome task that I really don’t feel I have the skills for. But, by golly, I am going to do everything
within my ability to make sure that I smoothe the path for him to find Christ
and the forgiveness and salvation that only can come from Him.
I often feel tired, defeated and like the day worked me
rather than the other way. Being a stay-at-home mom means that everything that
encompasses my “job” gets undone. Dishes, laundry, clean floors, the kitchen,
the yard, you know what I mean! I
have told my husband on more than on occasion that it isn’t fair! When he goes
to work he can complete a task and it stays completed! The simple fact that it will just get
undone again can be so unmotivating to me. The fact that my kiddo runs over my toes with his truck
while I am making dinner is aggravating. I am not a huge fan of wiping a dirty
bottom. I really wish he would wipe his nose on a Kleenex instead of his
sleeves. I really hate doing laundry, give me a houseful of toilets any day
over laundry. I miss the interaction of coworkers. And I could go on and on. We
all could. But if I make an intentional decision of what my attitude towards
motherhood is going to be…don’t I want it to be something other than
complaining or looking at the negative? Why not take back this thing called
motherhood? It isn’t about being perfect.
I won’t ever be a perfect mom, I WILL lose my temper and say things I
shouldn’t. There will be days when
I will cry and feel overwhelmed.
I’ve had those days and I am not naïve enough to think that I won’t have
a few more of those ahead of me.
However, what a waste of time and energy if I just live to get through
the years when my kid(s) is little.
I suppose that it boils down to the fact that I am unwilling
to look past the blessing that is my kid and I choose to see him as anything
other than that. What parent doesn't love their kid? But you know, I know a few parents that don't like their kids. That is inexcusable. God forbid that I should be ungrateful and unappreciative of the gift He gave me
in my son. When the hard and
difficult moments of mothering come (because they will indeed come) let me
choose to use those moments as a refining fire in which the Lord is using them
to burn away my dross and draw me and my son closer to Him.
If I am going to leave my son with a message every. single. day. it better be something like this:
"Obadiah, I am so glad you are in my life. I am a better person because you are here. You bring joy and a whole lot of fun to the otherwise ordinary moments of each day. God created you because He wants to know you and be known by you. I like who you are. I enjoy being with you. I cherish who you are. You are a gift to me and I treasure you." This needs to come out in my actions and how I interact with him. My kid is two and half. If I told him that previous statement he would smile, nod, and go right back to his trains without really getting the concept of what I just told him. But I tell ya what...how I treat him communicates loud and clear in way that he DOES understand. And he does get the concept of whether he is being valued or not based on my actions. Sobering and humbling. I definitely need God's grace every day. Thankfully His mercies are new every morning. I just need to ask for them. Being a mom is a daunting task. But I not willing to give up or fail to put in what I need to (and then some). Can't we as fellow moms come together on that basis rather than the "this is so hard and I just can't wait till they are grown, and i am so tired that I don't care anymore, and I want to do something else, and being a mom isn't my favorite job, and it is so hard"?! Let's run this race together and win!
"Obadiah, I am so glad you are in my life. I am a better person because you are here. You bring joy and a whole lot of fun to the otherwise ordinary moments of each day. God created you because He wants to know you and be known by you. I like who you are. I enjoy being with you. I cherish who you are. You are a gift to me and I treasure you." This needs to come out in my actions and how I interact with him. My kid is two and half. If I told him that previous statement he would smile, nod, and go right back to his trains without really getting the concept of what I just told him. But I tell ya what...how I treat him communicates loud and clear in way that he DOES understand. And he does get the concept of whether he is being valued or not based on my actions. Sobering and humbling. I definitely need God's grace every day. Thankfully His mercies are new every morning. I just need to ask for them. Being a mom is a daunting task. But I not willing to give up or fail to put in what I need to (and then some). Can't we as fellow moms come together on that basis rather than the "this is so hard and I just can't wait till they are grown, and i am so tired that I don't care anymore, and I want to do something else, and being a mom isn't my favorite job, and it is so hard"?! Let's run this race together and win!
4 comments:
Liz, thanks for the post. Very interesting and sincere thoughts. It's so great that you are able to treasure every moment of your son's first years. With us, the realization of relentless fleeting of those moments only came with the birth of the second child. Or, I should say, with our first hitting the age of five. Those moments are precious and once gone, are gone for ever. That's a rather scary thought.
"I am sick of women giving up too easily. I am disgusted with the laziness that my generation of mothers exhibit."
I think that's pretty bold, Liz, to call mom's lazy.
I love and like both my kids like crazy. I work my tail off for them every single day (and night) and I consider them the biggest blessing of my life. I would not trade this phase for the world and yet, my gosh, it is HARD. The hardest thing I have ever had to do. Its lonely and defeating and often thankless. I have never been so tired in my life. So to have someone call moms lazy is a bit of a sting.
I think a lot of us need to hear that we are not alone in feeling like a failure some days and that it okay not to be enjoying every single moment.
I think you're right on in this post, Liz. I had a mom of three (almost four) tell me the other day that she was jealous of another mom she knows that only has one kid. I asked her which 2 of hers she'd give up, and she didn't have much to say in response. Her attitude towards her kids was just so sad. You and I have talked a lot about this, so you know my thoughts already. But I think it's a sad thing in our culture, even our Christian culture, that children are considered burdens, annoyances, disruptions, etc. A lot of moms treat their kids like they are, anyway. And a lot of moms ARE lazy. Instead of accepting their God-given role as teachers/guides for their children, they do everything they can to avoid that role. I'm not saying it's not hard, I just wish that people would act like they really want and cherish their children.
Of course we all feel like failures someday. We all have days we're better at our jobs than others. Every single moment is not all sunshine and roses. Raising children is, and should be, the hardest thing we ever do. BUT, let's remember that every single moment matters. Every word we speak to and about our kids matters. Every look, shrug, humph, smile, tear, hug matters. When we roll our eyes, or sigh when they need us, they notice and internalize it.
I think your words are empowering and encouraging. Perhaps if anyone takes offense to them it's because they know they could do a better job of loving their children well. I know I could.
The whole point of the "Don't Carpe Diem" article was being real and honest. Embracing the good with the bad. When will we get to the point as mothers when we can be real, even about the darkest moments about mothering without fear of being judged? Yes, we need to spur one another on to greatness, but some of my most treasured times with other moms has been sharing about the gritty hard stuff and knowing that they get it. Other mothers understand the sleep-deprived, thankless task of raising little ones like no one else. I actually think we need to spend MORE time talking about the ugly side of being a mom and less time pointing fingers.
Post a Comment