I am in Kansas for Thanksgiving. I told Jason that I don't want to eat pickled herring this year. Made a horrid mistake my first thanksgiving with the Kansas side of his family. I didn't run from Grandpa Daniels when he pulled out some toothpicks and shoved them into the herring. I should have known that he was going to aim for my mouth with the herring. My husband's grandparents drive all the way to a special town to pick up that gunk. It is a highlight for them, one in which they love to share with everyone who is too dumb to quickly stuff something else in their mouth right as Grandpa makes his aim. I am smarter now. I have several "Kansas Thanksgivings" under my belt and my escape routes are well mapped.
But, as much as I am NOT a fan of Grandpa's herring...I do love the games of mexican train that follow the big dinner, and the handmade potato chips that precede it. I partake in the annual tradition of bringing out everyone's Black Friday fliers and making a huge list of where we are all going to shop and what time of the night, er...morning, we are meeting up. I love the laughs and hugs and the parade. I am so very thankful for this family that so graciously welcomed me into their clan eight years ago. They have truly made me one of them and it is nice to belong.
A week from now I will most likely be out shopping with the crazy women of Jason's family. Last year I was still breastfeeding so I didn't go at 4am. This year, I am leaving my two men home and I am going out for some strong coffee to start the day and then some good sales to sweeten it with.
1 comment:
You're already there? Have fun! And call me.
Post a Comment