Before having a wee babe of my own I thought that babies always have soft, smooth skin. This is not true. Poor Obi has a mild case of excema, but he also has super, no better said EXTREMELY, sensitive skin. Trying to find a shampoo that works for him as well as a lotion has been no end of trouble. We started off with Burt's Bees...only to find out that the child is allergic to oranges and both the lotion and wash have orange extract/wax in it. We moved on to Aveeno, Johnson/Johnson, etc, etc. I couldn't stand it anymore today. I feel like a horrid mother becuase I haven't been able to solve his dry patches and they are getting worse. There is one patch around his mouth (from a little soap residue *I think* left on his paci) that is contantly getting wet and wiped and it is now peeling! YIKES!!! So, after some serious internet time looking for natural/healthy remedies for said red, dry, scaly patches I decided to give California Baby Calendula cream a try. I tossed my baby in his carseat and off we headed to Fayetteville for a 2oz bottle of supposed magic. 3 hours later we were home and I put some on the inside of his arm to give it a test. After a couple of hours it seemed like it was a bit better...definitely not worse. I am hoping this will work. I did also buy a bottle of their super-sensitive wash and gave him a bath with it. He has been slathered and kissed and sent off to bed. In the morning I'll know if it worked (even just a little would be nice), or if I am back at square one and $20 poorer. Not that any of you reading really want to know about my kid's skin issues, but there you have it just the same.
I finished my first sewing project. It is a little cloth "thing" that straps your kid into a chair or highchair. I am pretty excited about it because Obi has been wanting to sit in highchairs at restaurants, but because he hasn't mastered the whole balance thing yet he can't quite do it. I used some scrap fabric, but voila...it worked!
It works in the chair at home, so we'll give it a whirl when we are out and about next time. :-)
No profound thoughts for tonight. But, I'll leave you with a picture of Obi and I from our time in Cali at the Pollo Loco. YUM! Doesn't his face say "So, umm..mom, where is my Pollo bowl?"
3 comments:
I have a two year old girl who has excema & extremely sensitive skin. Our pediatrician told us to use free & clear laundry detergent & to quit using fabric softener, or anything scented or containing dyes. She also recommended Dove body wash (the plain stuff) and said that it is much gentler on skin than any baby product on the market. She also advised aquaphor (navy colored lid) for moisturizer. Also, she advised not giving baths everyday during the winter, and during bath time, keep them short and use warm water, not hot. We have seen a drastic improvement in the condition of our daughter's skin. All easy changes too. Hope this helps and Obie gets some relief soon.
No words of wisdom, Liz. There's clear Calomine (as opposed to pink), but I don't suggest you try it for this. I like the suggestions given here, though. Sensitive skin may well run in the family. By the way, Ross couldn't handle anything but breast milk. Everything he tried gave a worse reaction. I had to nurse him till he was 18 months, but sized for 2 1/2 yrs.
The blogs are so good, Liz. Thanks for sharing.
Love, Lois
Have you heard of Arbonne International? It's not full of all kinds of filler products that so many brands have. I use that on my kids and it helps. We don't have quite the problems that Obie has but it's worth looking into.
Also cutting out fabric softener is a good idea too. In place of it use vinegar in a Downy ball. I promise, your clothes won't smell like vinegar!
Good luck. Let us know how he's doing.
Post a Comment