Monday, March 2, 2009

Names, coupons and a recipe

So, my post this time is exactly what the title says it will be. 

#1- Names.  
Jason and I have come to a distinct disagreement between what our version of "unique and different" mean.  But we both agree that we want a name that is fun, not entirely common (or used right now), and is easy for people to spell without having to always ask.  We have decided that we would each gather up a list and them come together and compare notes/lists.  I think that in that spirit I will ask for help from my friends.  We are looking for a shorter name (Jason likes one to two syllable names best).  So far, my favorite two are Finn and Silas.  If the child was born tonight, I think I would name him Finn.  Anyways...give me your ideas if you please!

#2- Coupons. 
Since we are trying to conserve money on all angles, I have tried my hand a coupon clipping.  Now, the Sunday paper doesn't give me a lot of options, but it is at least something.  Yesterday I found a $5.00 off coupon for the exact brand of dog food that I buy!  I have saved at least a few bucks that way.  So today, I was surfing some of my friends blogs and came across a new one that a college friend started.  It is called http://thefrugalmuse.blogspot.com .  She has been working at this deal hunting/coupon clipping stuff for a while and has a some great tips.  I was so thrilled about it that I've already printed off some coupons from her links and thought I should pass it along to you. Good luck to you.

#3- Recipe. 
I enjoy cooking, and have enjoyed it since I was a kid.  It has always been a fun hobby for me.  I am thankful that my mom wanted to teach me how to cook.  One thing that I have always suffered with though is cookies.  I LOVE a soft, chewy, melt-in-your-mouth cookie.  But mine always turn out crispy and crunchy.  Last week while I was at the store I decided to go ahead and splurge, spend the extra $2.48 and buy a bag of Hershey's Dark Chocolate chips.  I just did the recipe on the back of the bag and presto...the cookie that has always alluded my skills!  I am pretty darn excited.  

In case you don't want to go out and buy a bag of the chips just for the recipe, here it is:
2-1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)

Cream together sugar and butter, add egg and vanilla...stir.  Add in flour, salt & soda...stir.  Mix in the chocolate chips and nuts.  Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.  

That's it!  :-)  Happy cookie making.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

You know what name I like. I already call him Finn in my head.

I checked out the frugal muse blog, and I like it. I always read about people's deals at walgreen's, etc but I've never understood how to get them. I still don't, but I think Cherissa will help.

The recipe sounds good, and I have some chocolate chips in the cupboard. But I like cookies to be crispy, so I might not like yours. Of course everything you make is good, so I'll eat them anytime!

We need to talk on the phone soon. I am having withdrawals. Love you!