Monday, April 5, 2010

checkin' in

I am surprised that anyone still reads/checks this blog anymore.  See, I knew that I shouldn't have made any new year's resolutions...I just can't keep 'em!  It was a noble goal though....writing more often on this blog and all.  Oh well.  Life keeps trucking along, and even though there is isn't anything amazing going on in my life, and I couldn't tell you what all I have been busy with!  There have been lots of poopy diapers, quite a few loads of laundry, trips to the grocery store, walks in the park, and not as much vacuuming and mopping as I used to do. 

Big news?  Well, my folks are officially moving to my little town!  It's true, which must mean that pigs really CAN fly!  I thought there would never be a day in which my mother would agree to move to our part of the South.  I moved away from home 9 years ago and except for a few summers in college, I haven't lived near family since.  I am totally excited and totally nervous to be this close to family.  Growing up I never got to live anywhere near my grandparents. It is something that I always wished could have happened.  I am thankful for this opportunity for my son.  To be able to run down the street and meet up with Grandma and Grandpa will be amazing.  I am excited to be able to meet up with my dad for coffee dates, just like we used to have when I was a teenager. I am looking forward to spending time with my mom and just living life with them.  It is going to make our holiday scene SO much easier.  I can't even describe how excited I am about not having to split our holidays between four different states.  It is going to be fun to feel connected with them on a regular basis besides just phone calls and a twice yearly visit.

Other big news?  Jason has only 4 weeks left of school! PRAISE THE LORD!  We are both feeling the effects of how busy he is.  He's been traveling a lot lately (another reason it will be nice to have my parents near by) and it gets quiet sometimes at night.  Obi goes to bed, and it isn't like I can just pop out and meet up with a friend for coffee or something.  Jas has been super busy with work and he's on a city board, and he has some new opportunities ahead of him (can't spill the news yet...but it isn't a job change).  So between all of those things and then homework on top of it, well....it is hard to sometimes not feel like Obi and I are on our own.  We aren't, and he does make us a priority, but there are only so many hours in the day.  Needless to say, we are counting down the days until his master's program is over.  I am so very proud of him!  It has been an uphill battle at times, but he has stuck with it and it is a huge accomplishment.  We are heading to Chicago in June to watch him walk across the stage and be given a piece of paper that signifies just what an enormous thing he has finished!

Really small news?  I bought a bag of bird seed a few weeks ago at Lowe's. I don't have a bird feeder, but thought...hey, why not just put it on my front porch railing?  Yeah, the birds may poop on my porch some, but I can wash it off.  I am SO glad that I have food out there.  A pair of cardinals come stand on my railing throughout the day.  I get to watch them eat and, in some small way, I feel like I am being used by God to take care of two of His little creatures.  I love it that they know there is food for them at my house. I love it that they feel safe to come and rest and eat.  There is a robin that is starting to join them, and that robin is also starting to build a little nest over my front door.  There is a pile of twigs that showed up this morning on my porch. Messy?  Yeah.  But, I don't really care.  I'd rather watch the nest develop and the eggs be taken care of, and the babies be born.  After all, it is spring! These little birds don't care about the cost of gas, or the latest idiotic thing that our government has just done, or how the world is falling apart.  They just do what they were created to do....live life, sing, and in doing so, they worship their Creator.  I know that a human's life is a little more complex, but the basic gist is still the same.  We are to live our lives as a sweet smelling offering to the Father, and in doing so...we worship Him.  How humbling that we, a little lowly human, can worship the Creator of the world. How humbling that sometimes a tiny little creature, like a cardinal, can be more consistant at that than I. 

Well, if you made it to the end of this rambling post then you deserve some sort of award.  :-)  Sorry it wasn't terribly interesting, but there are my thoughts on this fine Monday morning.  I'm off to grab a quick shower before my baby boy wakes up from his nap.  I do have to say that I LOVE being that kid's momma.  He is a gift and a blessing, and I am thankful for him from the moment I wake up, to the moment I fall asleep...and even in my dreams.

No comments: