Thursday, April 23, 2009

confessions of a non-teenage drama queen

My dear husband is spending this week in Puerto Rico. Can I say that I am slightly jealous?!! He called me two nights ago and said he was laying in a hammock between two palm trees watching the waves crash onto the shore and was drinking a corona. AH!!! I was sitting on my couch, fighting the dog for space, massaging my swollen ankles and eating a leftover baked potato. Sometimes life is so very much unfair.

Anyways, before he left he said "Sweetie, our vendor has given us a hotel room for Friday night in Rogers and it is free drinks and all these fun people are going to be there. You want to go? It will be romantic and we'll get to spend some time together". Well, I kinda flipped out on the inside. You want to know why? Because in my mind, this was my conversation I had with myself..."Great, a hotel...that means a swimming pool, which sounds great, but I have no bathing suit. Cocktails...YUM, but I can't have any. Fun people...true, but all their wives are SUPER cute gals that always look put together and are skinny. Currently there are two shirts that my stomach fits into and they are both t-shirts...no pants/skirts that are dressy enough and my feet won't even fit into flip flops much less into heels...I will yet AGAIN be "frump girl" and I will totally be an embarrassment to my husband." It didn't help that I was falling asleep while typing a paper while he told me this. I dragged my butt upstairs, fell into bed and almost started crying. I am blessed to have a husband that sat beside me, rubbed my feet and said "this is ridiculous, we are saving money becuase of the baby, it is the baby that is causing all these body changes, while I am gone I want you to go shopping and get whatever you need!"

So, yesterday I left work and drove to Fayetteville and bought a BUNCH of clothes and some shoes. I haven't spent that much money on clothes in YEARS! I gotta tell you, it was a huge relief this morning to wake up and look in my closet and realize that I do in fact have something to wear. Granted, I still won't be wearing heels tomorrow night becuase my feet really will not fit in them, but, at least from my shins up I will feel presentable. It was funny though, I haven't seen myself in a full legnth mirror in a while (I don't own one)...so yesterday while in the changing rooms and trying to find a bra that fits, I realized that my body has morphed into something else entirely different that what it used to be!!! I was SHOCKED! Not that I was really slim or trim beforehand, but it is beginning to really soak in that being a mother means sacrificing everything. I kinda thought that meant mostly just sacrificing sleep, sharing your food, no more spare time...ya know, that kinda stuff. But, nope...my boobs are no longer what I would consider "mine". I hear it only gets worse after the baby comes. I had a moment of panic...called Jason and apologized for the fact that I didn't realize just how umm..ugly my boobs have gotten. He just laughed and said he didn't think they were ugly and he thinks it has been fun to watch my body change. I am a fortunate girl! All I have to say is, thank the Lord that I don't live in a naked tribe in Africa. I can wear clothes over all those body parts I am sincerely not fond of. ;-)

Ok...there is my superficial ramblings for today. Sorry if that was too much information. Just needed to get that off my chest (ha..no pun intended).

Jason took this picture last week...so here I am in all my (clothed) glory:

It really is worth it! I can't wait to see his little face!

No comments: