I have been starving latetly...no joke, I am ALWAYS hungry. I read somewhere that you only need 300 more calories a day when you are pregnant, but that is only like a glass of milk, a tablespoon of peanut butter and an apple. My stomach is not in agreement with the online source of information. But, my dilema today was that I got home from work and had a snack before Jason got home. I flipped on the TV and watched a little "Anthony Bourdain, No Reservations". He was in Ghana, eating what looked like the most delicious food. (For those of you that don't know, I grew up in South America and also in Spain, we spent some time in Morocco and my mom loved to cook ethnic food. So, for me, non-American food is normal and WAY better than a burger and fries.) Anyway, all of the sudden I had this enormous craving for Indian food. The thought of curry, dahl, nan and yogurt sauce sounded amazing. I pulled out my Indian cookbook and realized quickly that my local grocer (aka: walmart) does not carry fenugreek seeds or another 1/4 of the ingredients that ALL the recipes were calling for. "Well", I thought, "I could wander down to the new Thai restaurant and have some rice and some chicken satay with peanut sauce". So, I called Jason to remind him that my tummy was having a hard time being patient. He came home, picked me up and off we sped to the new restaurant....only to find that it was closed! My dreams of rice and some savory sauce were quickly going down the drain. We ended up at the old standby of Thai Spice...and dinner was still very good, but it left me asking one VERY important question tonight: Why in world do I live in little Siloam Springs? If I was in any metropolitan city, I could have popped around the corner and solved my belly's ache. If this is what this pregnancy is going to be like, then I have some serious spice shopping to do the next time I am in a town of greater than 13,000 people.
(PS...I am working on getting some pictures up, I promise!)
3 comments:
Indian food does not appeal to me at all. But if it sounds good to you then eat it! My doctor always said to eat what sounds good, unfortunately for me that was usually a greasy cheeseburger, french fries, and a coke. Ah, the joys of pregnancy. I know you don't mind!
I did a LOT of Callahan's. A LOT.
I promise -- the joys of a small town will be quickly realized when that beautiful baby arrives and you don't have to worry nearly as much with it being such an awesome town to raise kids. That's what keeps us here... we're both from the far north suburbs of Chicago...
Post a Comment